New Directions in Philosophical Theology aims to lay the groundwork for a field-shaping programme of research in philosophical theology, defined as a theology resourced by methods and insights from within systematic theology and continental philosophy.
It does so
- by building relationships with theological centres and outstanding individual researchers that already engage continental philosophy constructively for theological advancement, and
- by formulating a shared understanding of the tasks and questions that should be prioritized over the subsequent three to five years in the field of philosophical theology.
In practical terms, the project involves
- interviews with theologians and philosophers
- précis of significant works of the last 25 years on the future of philosophical theology
- a consultation in August 2020 with colleagues from Cambridge, Durham, KCL, Nottingham, Notre Dame, and Duke Universities
- a year-long research seminar series in Metaphysics and Poetics, led jointly with Catherine Pickstock, taking place monthly at St Andrews and Cambridge in 2020/21