The planning phase of Widening Horizons, entitled New Directions in Philosophical Theology, is a two-year project aiming to lay the groundwork for Widening Horizons‘ field-shaping programme of research in philosophical theology. This planning phase has spanned the period September 2019 to August 2021.
It has laid the groundwork for the main phase
- by building relationships with theological centres and outstanding individual researchers that already engage continental philosophy constructively for theological advancement, and
- by formulating a shared understanding of the tasks and questions that should be prioritized over the next three to five years in philosophical theology in the broadly continental tradition.
In practical terms, New Directions has involved
- a year-long research seminar series in Metaphysics and Poetics, led jointly with Catherine Pickstock, taking place monthly at St Andrews and Cambridge in 2020/21
- interviews with theologians and philosophers
- a consultation in August 2020 with colleagues from Birmingham, Cambridge, Durham, KCL, Nottingham, Notre Dame, and Duke Universities
- the resulting creation of a vision statement as the basis of the main project’s call for proposals